When Kung Fu Panda 2 came out in the theaters recently my kids were nothing short of ecstatic.
I have four boys, you see, and anything that involves kicking, fighting, and punching definitely grabs their attention. I am a girl so I don’t really get it.
My oldest had his birthday around the time that the movie came out and he was adamant about having a Kung Fu Panda Party so I started planning. They played games and ate pizza then it was time for dessert. During one of my scheming sessions, which usually happen at random sometime in the middle of the night when I am trying to sleep, I had a great idea for how I was going to make Kung Fu Panda cupcakes.
Wanna know how? Read on…
Kung Fu Panda Cupcakes
- chocolate cupcakes (1 for each child)
- vanilla ice cream, 1 scoop for each panda
- Brown M&M’s, 2 for each face
- Vanilla frosting, such as Wilton’s
- Blue nonpareils, 2 for each face
- 1 bag of Oreo’s Minis
1. Bake your cupcakes. I used chocolate as a base because that is what my son asked for but also to represent the body. I placed them in white candy cups although, next time I will probably use darker cups.
2. Use a paring knife and cut the top of the cupcake off at about a 30° angle. Remove and set aside. Place a large, round scoop of ice cream onto each cupcake. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
3. While the ice cream re-freezes make the eyes. I used Wilton’s White Cookie Icing to make small dots onto the brown M&M’s. Immediately place a blue nonpareil in the middle of the icing. Allow to dry a few minutes.
4. Using the cupcake tops you cut off previously cut out a small triangle that will be used as the nose.
5. To assemble the cupcakes remove the cupcakes from the freezer and stick two mini Oreo cookies vertically into the ice cream. One on the top right and one on the top left for the panda’s ears. Place the M&M’ eyes on the front of the ice cream where the eyes should be and stick the cupcake triangle into the middle of the ice cream face.
Put in the freezer until you are ready to serve at the party.
I must warn you, you will need to work quickly when putting the cupcakes together. I recommend doing them one at a time. If the ice cream is too soft the eyes will not stick and they will bleed into the ice cream (you can see that on the cupcakes in the back).